-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Borden [mailto:jborden@mediaone.net]

Having an xml:id attribute is a terrific idea which is the best solution to
an otherwise nasty problem.

Since "xml:id" is already reserved, there is no chance of conflicting with
currently available software. I don't see much reason to need to update DTDs
because if you already _have_ a DTD then you can define ID attributes. The
problem exists for well formed but DTD-less XML documents for which one
needs to use the raw XPointer #foo.