From: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk [mailto:ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 4:21 AM
To: Michael Fuller
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org; Marcus Carr
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

Michael Fuller <msf@mds.rmit.edu.au> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 10:40:38AM +1100, Marcus Carr wrote:
> > > e.g.  <?xml-typeinfo idnames="abc:id, ID, id"?>
> > I agree, so despite the fact that it feels as though I'm swimming in
concrete,
> > I'm making one last pitch for the idea of using a PI.
> [...]
> > Does anyone really find the xml-stylesheet processing instruction such a
> > kludge?
>

> No; but then I never understood why the use of processing instructions
> had become infra dig. W3C politics, I hear whispered. Anyone care to
share?

1) They're not scoped, everything else about the language is.
2) They're not declared in the grammar (DTD/Schema), so their usage is not
subject to any declarative/universal quality control: you're back to
writing ad-hoc code in every application to check they occur where and
how they're supposed to.

ht