RE: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

Yes you cannot be sure that an UA will read the DTD (if any).
Attribute selectors will work just fine as long as you know the
attribute name and namespace of your ID attribute of choice:

@namespace xed url(http://www.foo.org/ns/manos/appSpace/xmledit1);

xed\:myIdAttr
{
/* style rules here */
}

IMHO though, this is not really a problem. From what I understand, it
was anticipated and somewhat ignored back when the CSS selector syntax
was designed. That's because using attribute selectors will be far more
safe than any mechanism trying to figure out what attribute plays the
role of ID anyway.

Kindest regards,

Manos