Re: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> IIS vulnerabilities are MS's problem.  That is
> exactly why some of us say "MS and IE only": because
> we can contractually obligate them to fix them.

And some of us say "No MS or IE", because we cannot, in
fact, contract with either Microsoft or anyone else to
fix them, but are dependent on "sighs and tears".
Been there, done that, not going back.

IMHO the most important right that a user of Open Source
software has stems from the fact that if you have $$$, there
are people out there who will make the program do
whatever you need.

> With
> MS, I can point to the service agreement and hold
> them to it.  You can say they will ignore me,
> but they won't, at least, not as long as I am
> paying maintenance.

The maintenance in question gives you the right to,
sheeplike, accept whatever changes *they* want to
make, which may have nothing whatever to do with
bugs you identify.  I'm not singling out Microsoft
here: all proprietary software companies act in
exactly the same way.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    the corridors               || http://www.reutershealth.com