RE: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

Open source can and does work as you describe.  Good
point, John.   The rights I get out of a maintenance
contract depend on negotiation, money's offered, etc.
All software companies do not act exactly the same
way.  But all software companies, open source or
otherwise have to control promises or quickly go
out of business.  One can turn the open source
argument on its head though and say that if a
company has a sizable user base, that user base
can and does often act in concert or small groups
to get a BigCo to make changes and that getting
someone to keep their promises is the same
problem regardless of the software source.   There are some
informative articles on Customer Relationships
Management systems that take up this problem.
The problem of IIS is that it is a giveaway and
that is harder to get them to change.  I suspect
MS does not leave security holes open on purpose.

len