RE: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

Umm... I think one can say it is a limited
portion of validation.  I think it is reasonable
to say that it is a part of validation that
might be handled separately because it has
to be handled often and means must exist that
are more efficient given the frequency, so
it is a part of validation that is useful
to split away from all the other validation
requirements.  That is arguable, I agree.

But IDness is not part of well-formedness
either.  XML also tossed it into the XML DTD
box and since we had a hand in that, we
can't simply kick SGMLAsDemonOfEra.  But
that is spilt milk.

The middle ground here is frequency of
application over volume of instances at runtime.  This
argues for a more effective means for
declaring and locating IDs.  Again, the medium is one
in which location resolution is a primary
requirement, so doctrine should be to make
that as efficient as possible given the
overall benefit to all system users.  Since
it is a systemic requirement, we can also
reasonably argue that a solution which
adds to the system vocabulary is a sound
approach.

len