RE: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

At 3:59 PM -0800 11/5/01, Michael Brennan wrote:
>Is there any reason why XLink labels cannot be used for this? If you want to
>use a simple name in a fragment identifier, why not treat the referenced
>element as a resource and give it an xlink:label attribute, and modify
>XPointer to permit use of XLink label names as fragment identifiers as an
>alternative to IDs?

That sounds like an excellent idea.  Off the top of my head, I don't
see why it couldn't work. I just looked in the XLink specification
and don't see anything there that would prohibit putting labels on
almost any element in a document you cared to. It doesn't say you
can, but it doesn't say you can't either. It does say you can't put
it on certain types of XLink elements which is tricky, but maybe we
can fix that.

We don't define any new attributes. We just use the xlink:label
attribute XLink already defines and add one sentence to the XPointer
spec specifying that a bare name XPointer can point to an element
with an xlink:label. Sounds good to me.