RE: [xml-dev] When to Validate XML?

[...]
> Are you saying that the RDBMS triggers, rules, etc. are mostly used during
the
> debugging phase, and perhaps that application logic (JavaBeans in an app
> server or whatever) tends to handle the validation in the production
> applications?  If so, is that because the DB triggers/rules/etc. have too
> much of a performance burden?

(I'm not JJ, but I thought I'd chip in! :)

In my experience the RDBMS triggers, etc are not developer time checks
and remain in force during production. If you've got multiple systems
accessing
a database then the only way to enforce these kind of checks is within
the RDBMS. There's no guarantees that the application level logic will be
consistent across all your applications.

2p spent.

L.