Re: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

At 8:56 AM +1100 11/7/01, Marcus Carr wrote:

>Sure, but why preclude documents from being both well-formed with
>IDs and valid at
>the same time? Making the two mutually exclusive is totally
>unnecessary and could
>have a massive impact. The decision to allow documents to be
>well-formed (rather
>than the less appropriate term "invalid") was to allow documents to be nimble,
>used in ways previously not considered. Adding an attribute to the data is
>burdening it with a new schema.

Nobody is suggesting they be mutually exclusive! Nobody is precluding
anything! If you want your documents that contain
xml:id/xlink:label/id/shazbot attributes to be valid, then all you
have to do is declare them in the DTD like any other attribute. If
you don't care about validity, you don't have to do this. It really
is that simple. I don't know any other way to say it.