RE: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

Right, but has anyone seen any glimmer of interest in a version-up of XML
from the W3C? I'll guess that an XML 2.0 would be a very challenging thing
to get through the W3C process these days, and would be astonished if
something became a Recommendation before 2004 or so.  Can the world wait
that long for id-ness declarations?  Can anyone see the W3C astonishing me
and doing an XML 1.1 that simply folds namespaces, xml:base, and maybe
xml:idattr and some other small tweaks into a pre-announced version of XML
anytime soon?

Remember how SAX came about in 1997; people on this mailing list agreed that
a simple parse-time API was needed, whipped one up, and the world decided to
use it rather than re-invent that wheel. In a rational world, it would have
been bundled together with the DOM, but we don't live in a rational world.
But we do have to get by in this one, and if we agree that the lack of
id-ness in well-formed XML is indeed a serious architectural problem, a
willy-nilly convention beats everybody re-inventing that wheel in hundreds
of applications.

[my personal opinion; don't blame my employer if this is blatant stupidity]