Re: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

At 4:49 PM +1100 11/8/01, Marcus Carr wrote:

>You seem to have lost track of my point. I don't feel that a
>solution that forces
>an unknown number of people to make an unknown number of changes to an unknown
>number of DTDs to cover an unknown set of circumstances is the best solution.
>Sorry, but I don't buy the "blame the stupid DTD owner" line when the sand has
>been shifted out from under them.

You miss my point. Nobody is forced to implement anything! If someone
finds xml:id (or xlink:label to make Len happy) they're free to use
it, in which case they can declare it or not as they need to. If they
don't like it, they don't have to use it. Nobody's blaming anybody.
As Walter Perry is so fond of pointing out, you're free to do
whatever you want with your XML documents and to impart any meaning
to them that seems useful to you. No sand has been shifted unless the
owner of a document has made a decision to insert xml:id attributes
in their documents. The document author knows when the sand is going
to shift because they're making the choice to shift it.