RE: [xml-dev] Caught napping!

From a DB perspective, types may (depending on the level of detail at
which schema matters to you) be better determined outbound than inbound.
We worry a lot about validation from an inbound perspective but it may
be more interesting and more in the "spirit" of XML, albeit more
problematic in some cases, to let the consumer of the data decide.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Weinreb [mailto:dlw@exceloncorp.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 2:00 PM
To: Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Caught napping!

   Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 15:44:18 -0500
   From: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>

   XML does not claim to be a general theory of data;

I agree.

				   Types, of course, are a well-known
issue
   that is supported in the Schema layer on top of XML itself, and are
   admittedly still a bit bleeding edge.

I agree, and just think it's worth explicitly mentioning that it's not
really the place of the XML database people to dictate how types work
in XML.  The XML community defines the types, and then the XML
database system makers have to do whatever the community dictates.