RE: [xml-dev] So maybe ID isn't a problem after all.

I'd like to use getElementById() in well-formed XML, or when processing
instances of a DTD I don't control but for which I "know" that a certain
attribute has unique values.  If I could easily slip in an id-ness
declaration out of band somehow, the DOM implementation will do a fair
amount of work for me that is tedious to do by hand. I'm not a heavy user of
XSLT, but I suspect that a similar use case exists for the id() function.