To: mozilla-mathml@mozilla.org
From: "Roger B. Sidje" <rbs@maths.uq.edu.au>
Newsgroups: netscape.public.mozilla.mathml
Subject: Re: MathML and DOM
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 10:25:51 +1000
To: Lutz Lenzen <lenzen@iram.rwth-aachen.de>

Lutz Lenzen wrote:

>  Example: I have 3x3-Matrix an want to change
>  by a button-click one single entry of this matrix...(without the trick
>  of just changing the hole matrix by taking a <div>-range.

It is a bit messy, but you need to try something like:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "mathml.dtd" [
  <!ATTLIST mtd  id ID #IMPLIED>
  <!ATTLIST mi   id ID #IMPLIED>
  <!ATTLIST mrow id ID #IMPLIED>
]>

i.e., explictly specify that you want an attribute named 'id' of type ID
('id' could be named something else) on those XML/XHTML/MathML tags that
you want to access with getElementById(). And from there on, proceed with DOM
functions as usual. That's one of the strange things of XML.

(Normally, the official MathML DTD defines 'id' like that for all MathML tags,
but so are other things, and when trying to load the official "XHTML plus MathML"
DTD, my computer freezes for a short while... And bug 44458 makes this worse if this
huge DTD has to be parsed (and re-parsed) when browsing. So "mathml.dtd" is just a
trimmed 64 KB list of entities from the original 384 KB "XHTML plus MathML" DTD.)
---
RBS