Re: [xml-dev] Caught napping!

"W. E. Perry" wrote:
> The schism in XML practice, and underlying theory, is not so much
> between the data and document camps as between the text and model
> viewpoints. That difference resolves to a fundamental understanding
> of intent. Proponents of the model believe that XML instances are to
> convey particular semantics, with markup as the tool to circumscribe
> the most particular definition of expected meaning. The alternative
> is to believe that the XML instance may, and should, be processed by
> each recipient to yield the most useful semantic outcome for that
> recipient on that occasion, regardless of the expectations or intent
> of the creator of that instance.

Out of curiousity, how many people think of XML in text terms, not model
terms? My guess is that even proponents of well-formed XML eventually
fall into the model camp, but I'm not sure.

I'm also wondering if there is a difference. The definition of the text
camp still seems to depend on knowing the document author's intent, even
if recipient uses the document in a way not foreseen by the author. I
believe this was John Cowan's point.

-- Ron