Re: [xml-dev] IDs considered harmful or why keys might bebetterthanIDs...

On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 08:33, Jonathan Borden wrote:
> > I think that perhaps you've misread my suggestion.
>
> No, I was using it to make a point roughly along the lines of "perfect is
> the enemy of good".

Heh.  I think I'm claiming something more like "broken and obvious is
better than working and subtle", so we're likely talking past each
other.

> In our rush to 'move beyond' DTDs we sometimes neglect
> the lowly internal subset which _is_ instance data, so for example
> specifications like SOAP which are now stuck with the inability to have IDs
> (shrug).

I'm not sure I'm willing to describe the internal subset as instance
data, to be honest.  To me it's metadata which is encapsulated inside
the document, basically a historical accident of the peculiar rights
given to non-validating parsers.

> Right. And since we have relatively good information that every SAX parser
> properly reports ID attributes _which are declared in the instance i.e. the
> internal subset_ I am not entirely sure that the need for another syntax to
> in-line declare identifiers is not syntax sugar (not that syntax sugar is
> sometimes useful).

Your syntax sugar is my gluten foundation, and vice-versa.

After years of meddling with XML interoperability and the lack of it, I
can't say that I've seen much evidence of the internal subset doing any
substantial good in these matters.

I'd rather do less so I can get on with doing more.

--
Simon St.Laurent
"Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue