Re: [xml-dev] annotations outside validation

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 08:21, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
>
>>>All this discussion of IDs is making me wonder if maybe it isn't time to
>>>consider creating a class of attributes which aren't considered for
>>>validation of any kind, DTD or schema.
>>>
>><!--    why not using comments    -->
>><?or even="processing instructions"?>
>>
>>???
>>
>>These are one of the few constructions which escape to validation (even
>>though there is no reason why one wouldn't invent a schema language
>>which could validate them as well)!
>>

> Sure!  Those are good examples of the kind of flexibility I'd like to
> see.  The only problem is that there are no clear rules for how those
> items relate to particular elements or attributes.
>
> Does a comment apply to the following element, the one containing it,
> the document as a whole, or none of the above?  The same issues apply to
> processing instructions used that way.

It may be missing in XML 1.0, but XPath and XML Infoset seem both clear
(and consistant) on this point...

http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#data-model

http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset/#infoitem.element

I think that it's their "out of band" and fuzzy style which

is both their major quality and their major strenght!

Eric

--
Rendez-vous à Paris pour le Forum XML.
                    http://www.technoforum.fr/Pages/forumXML01/index.html