Re: [xml-dev] annotations outside validation

On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 08:21, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> > All this discussion of IDs is making me wonder if maybe it isn't time to
> > consider creating a class of attributes which aren't considered for
> > validation of any kind, DTD or schema.
>
> <!--    why not using comments    -->
> <?or even="processing instructions"?>
>
> ???
>
> These are one of the few constructions which escape to validation (even
> though there is no reason why one wouldn't invent a schema language
> which could validate them as well)!

Sure!  Those are good examples of the kind of flexibility I'd like to
see.  The only problem is that there are no clear rules for how those
items relate to particular elements or attributes.

Does a comment apply to the following element, the one containing it,
the document as a whole, or none of the above?  The same issues apply to
processing instructions used that way.

They're definitely quite easy to "sprinkle", however.

--
Simon St.Laurent
"Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue