magic competition (was Re: [xml-dev] annotations outside validation)

Simon,

I like where you are going with that! Lets have an XML Magic
competition!

The problem: How to add stuff into the XML instance (be it linking info,
super whitespace handling rules, extra encoding information, XML profile info
etc.) with the following provisos:

         A solution that can grow as we find more things we missed
         Don't break existing systems
         Make the new stuff easily round-trippable
         No need to write custom parsers for the new stuff
         Don't make life harder for app developers who don't give a rats
         posterior about the new stuff.

Here is my entry to that competition:

A PI named in the xml namespace called swftpi = Stuff We Forgot To Put In

Used like this:

         <?xml:swftpi stuff="{xml version="1.0"
encoding="UTF-8"}{foo}{bar}Hello World{/baz}{/foo}"?>
         <foo>
         </foo>

Take the swftpi PI target, replace {} delimiters with <> and you have a
second WF xml instance into which we can slide any stuff we like.

Am I serious? Maybe...just maybe...

Sean