Re: [xml-dev] So maybe ID isn't a problem after all.

Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> Well, we've heard that, depending on the system, the resource identified by
> the URI might not be unique... so I guess we have varying degrees of
> uniqueness.

URIs and resources are 1-1 and onto: one resource, one URI, and vice
versa, by definition of "resource".

However, multiple resources can fetch the same *entity body*
(sequence of octets plus a media type), and a given resource may
have multiple entity bodies (via negotation, or varying with time).
Some resources, like namespaces, don't have to have corresponding
entity bodies at all.

For more on this, see my postings to the xml-uri archive.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    the corridors               || http://www.reutershealth.com