Element Occurrence and #PCDATA

I have a question about a slightly obscure syntax of #PCDATA in a DTD.

Is the syntax (#PCDATA)* ever meaningful?

I've searched the archives for this group, Googled the Web, and searched
every text I have.  The only references I can find are in "XML For Dummies"
(2nd Ed.) where the syntax is used quite extensively on page 85 and 86 and
one single reference on page 232 of Simon St. Laurent's "XML A Primer" by
Simon St.Laurent that is really about CDATA and the use of the syntax may,
or may not, be meaningful. (That's why this message is also directed to Mr.
St.Laurent.)

Thanks!

Dan Mabbutt