   XPath node-set order

Hmm.

Appears that I'm wrong.  According to the spec (very *early* in the
spec, when the concept of node-sets is introduced), it is stated very
clearly that node-sets are unordered.

On the other hand, since the position predicate can be used on almost
anything, and the position predicate depends upon the axis, my earlier
statements hold, from a practical perspective.  If you're implementing
anything that can handle positional predicates, then you have to keep
track of document order, and have to resolve the positional predicate
based on the controlling axis.  So, a node set is an unordered set, in
which order is implicitly required by other elements of the
specification.

I'm sure there must be a reason for that.  But it seems clear enough
that in order to handle further predicates acting on a node-set, that
the order of the nodes as encountered must be preserved.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis          alicorn@mindspring.com          amyzing@talsever.com
Money can't buy happiness, but poverty can't buy *anything*.