   Re: [xml-dev] XPath node-set order

Amy Lewis wrote:
> So, a node set is an unordered set, in
> which order is implicitly required by other elements of the
> specification.

Document order, reverse document order, hierarchical order, etc. can always
be derived from a set of nodes, because where the nodes come from in the
document is a built-in property of their identity. Actually, the reverse
axes (though pretty funnily specified) are good examples of the fact that
node-sets are indeed unordered.

<xsl:for-each select="ancestor::*"> iterates over the supplied node-set in
document order. Once the expression is evaluated, a node-set is returned and
the implementation is free to forget that the ancestor axis was ever used.
This information is certainly not accessible to the user, e.g. after the
node-set has been bound to a variable.

Compare the following two examples:

ancestor::node()[1] gets the first ancestor in reverse document order (the
parent)
(ancestor::node())[1] gets the first ancestor in document order (the root
node)

This is syntactically possible because the Predicate production appears in
the grammar in two places--one as part of a Step and the other as part of a
FilterExpr. In the former case, the predicate is a syntactic component of
the primitive expression Step. In other words, it is not as if
ancestor::node() is evaluated before the predicate is applied. In the latter
case, however, that's exactly what happens. A FilterExpr consists of a full
expression followed by a predicate. In this case, ancestor::node() is
evaluated first (returning an unordered node-set); then the predicate is
applied to the resultant node-set, returning the first member in document
order.

Having said all this, it's certainly possible to redefine the concepts we
use (node-set vs. ordered sequence) without necessarily changing the
behavior of those expressions (particularly in the context of, say, XSLT). I
mention this because XPath 2.0 deals with sequences rather than sets, which
will soon become clear.

Hope this helps,
Evan

Step: http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#NT-Step