   Re: [xml-dev] XML-1.1 -- just ignore it

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> I see XML 1.1 is out, and it is so crazy that it is funny.  My considered
> recommendation is we all have a good laugh, and then forget about it.
>
> By allowing any character in names, it means that we can have WF XML 1.1
> documents which merely opening in a text editor (even an editor for the
> document encoding) will corrupt with a well-formedness error: if people use
> characters in names which may be split at by automated line-wrapping.  A
> markup language which safe practise is to *never* open an entity in a text
> editor? Excellent advance!

Don't worry, Rick! XML Names being now richer, W3C XML Schema will
surely define pattern facets on names and Simon is probably already
working on their fragmentation. In the meantime, we can write Schematron
schemas to rule those we don't like out of documents.

The timing of this WD is well chosen and it gives us food for thoughts
in our way back from XML 2001.

A thing which I'll try to think more about is the compatibility issue
and its consequence on other recs (especially W3C XML Schema).

> I would guess that putting in Issue 18 and Issue 21 (should control
> characters
> be allowed?  should 0x00 be allowed?) are just sacrificial lambs, put in to
> be removed later but not serious suggestions. A markup language which was
> unsafe to store in files or to transmit on serial lines or as text/*?
> Should be a winner!

I am not convinced by "Not allowing them means that textual content that
may contain such characters (but typically does not) needs to be
specially encoded in XML documents using a protocol like Base-64 in
order to ensure the production of well-formed XML."

Even when located in CDATA section, there is a limited but not null risk
to find an invalid combination of "characters" in a binary content. In
parctice, the binary content may need to be read as a character string
in the encoding of the document to check!

Eric
--
See you in Orlando for XML 2001.
                                     http://www.xmlconference.net/xmlusa/