   Re: [xml-dev] Goodbye to textual applications?

Adam Turoff wrote:

> You sound wistful for a subset of DTD syntax that is useful for
> novels and recipies.  :-)  Do we *really* need <!NOTATION>
> declarations? Are IDs best defined in <!ENTITY> declarations?  And
> what about unparsed entities?  Conditional sections?  Mixed content
> models?

No, no, no, yes, yes.  (We need to be able to adapt DTDs a bit,
and in running text mixed content is a necessity, unless you
are willing to have an awful lot of stoopid "span" elements.

> A simple DTD schema language
> (with XML Syntax) would probably be the best mesh for the problem
> space you describe; rote translation to XML Schema / RelaxNG should
> solve the interoperability issues.

A subset of the RELAX NG informal syntax would serve very well.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    the corridors               || http://www.reutershealth.com