   Re: [xml-dev] Goodbye to textual applications?

>intuitive? Well ... this is subjective, but I don't find them
>to be intuitive ... You mean emulating inherinatce
>with macroprocessing is intuitive? Hmm...

That is one of the features of DTDs I eschew.

>regular extressions?  Well, I'd say that with regular
>expressions we have regexprs version 1 ( grep  or
>'see if there is a match') and regexprs version 2
>( perl's  $1, which is 'if there is a match - take this
>and that part of matching string' ) DTDs are at
>the level of version 1, so I think that maybe they're
>kinda  ... obsolete ... ( And JavaCC kinda 'got it right' ... )

I mean extended regular expressions in the sense used
by Anne Brüggemann-Klein (http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/331326.html)

> > I eschew all the other stuff heaped in there from the SGML days
> > where possible.
>
>Such as?

macroprocessing - as you yourself highleghted.

>  I'd really love to know about the best alternatives
>to DTDs. Many thanks.

I think we differ over the semantics of the word "eschew".

> > DTDs are not perfect, there are multiple alternatives, some better than
> > others for document-oriented XML applications.
>
>Well, I don't understand your point then.

Likewise, I do not understand yours. Sorry.

Sean