   Re: [xml-dev] Goodbye to textual applications?

Paul T wrote:

> My point is simple. DTDs should die. Their syntax
> is ugly and inconvenient for processing,  their functionality
> is not enough for the real-life cases. They are almost useless.

Maybe for you.  For me and many others, DTDs are very useful,
suitable for many real-life cases, and more legible than
schemas encoded in XML instance syntax.

(Although I'm probably going to switch to Relax-NG "unofficial
syntax" in the future; it has all of these advantages and more.)

> Some time ago I've written a program, which took
> a DTD and generated the YACC grammar from it.

Naturally, this is not going to work very well.
LR parsing is a lousy way to process tree-local
grammars.

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com