len

From: Leigh Dodds [mailto:ldodds@ingenta.com]

> From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) [mailto:clbullar@ingr.com]

> I can't wait to see the XML.COM condensed
> version of this thread. :-)

And me, because hopefully then I can read it and
understand what the real issue is.

(...pauses...)

D'oh!

Seriously though, I gave a talk recently, introducing Markup
and XML to some Medical Informatics students. I outlined the
overheads of writing custom parsers for custom formats;
suggested that providing additional rules to structure
data formats could improve the situation; then explained
why CSV is fragile and limited; and then introduced
labelled formats as the best solution.

I also made it clear that introducing grammatical rules
such as labelling doesn't necessarily say anything about
the meaning of the data following those rules
(cf: Edward Lear). That's for a higher layer.

They seemed to accept the benefits of this, and
understood where the limitations were.

So aside from the philosophy (interesting as it is) it seems to me
there's a fairly simple message to get across. Is there any real
evidence that there's been a failure to communicate it, beyond
the existing marketing-technology disconnects?

Personally I'm not sure I've seen it. Most developers I've worked
with just approach XML as syntax, and don't expect a whole
lot more.