   Re: SV: SV: [xml-dev] XML=WAP? And DOA?

At 1:09 PM -0500 1/15/02, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

>I think you are confusing XML with XMl data and XML practise.
>
>You are correct that in many applications, tag names/attributes add
>value to the data. That has nothing to do with XML *itself*... just
>the way people use it.

I think you're ignoring XML practice in order to win an increasingly
obscure and irrelevant point. It's not hard to prove that you can
transform any XML document into CSV or vice versa. In other words, a
1-1 onto mapping exists. Unfortunately, the way people use these
formats is important. Mathematical equivalence is not the same as
practical equivalence.

In the real world, XML documents, carry a lot more metadata and
information than CSV documents do. In the real world, CSV documents
are prone to data corruption in a way XML documents aren't. In the
real world, it's easier for people to write and read  XML documents
than CSV documents. In the real world, it's easier for programmers to
write code that deals correctly with XML than with CSV. In the real
world, it's easier to detect the inevitable problems that do arise
with any format with XML than with CSV. In the real world, XML wins.