   RE: SV: SV: [xml-dev] XML=WAP? And DOA?

At 5:51 PM +0100 1/15/02, Nicolas LEHUEN wrote:

>Maybe what we try to say is that from a programmatical point of view, there
>is no added information in a format where the meta-data is embedded into the
>data, compared to a format where meta-data is expressed in a header and pure
>data follows. The only advantage is for human eyes ; it is great for
>debugging. But one should never think that embedding meta-data within data
>gives any advantage to XML vs. "header-then-data" formats.

That's exactly what I do think. Embedding meta-data within data
offers huge advantages. Debugging's just one of them. XML formats are
more robust. They are easier to author. They are easier to edit. They
are fail-fast. They make it very easy to find and fix problems when
they do arise. They are easier to extend into non-tabular structures.
They are better in a very real sense. That's why people use them.

>  Your definition
>of "opacity" is anthropomorphical ; from a computer perspective, XML and CSV
>are equally crystal clear on the lexical level and completely opaque on the
>semantic level.

I'm not totally convinced that XML is quite as semantically opaque to
a computer as you think, but even granting that we have two formats
which are the same to a computer but one is significantly better for
people. Guess which one I choose?