   Re: [xml-dev] Negotiate Out The Noise: (Was RE: SV: SV: [xml-dev] XML=

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 18:39, Paul T wrote:
> > <snip/>
> >
> > > This wins with no question, I think. And I think
> > > the buzzword should be not RDF, but RDDL
> > > ( not the current version, sorry ;-( ).
> >
> > I agree. I'm curious what you would like to see changed in RDDL, though.
>
> 1. The process.
>
> I'm kinda tired of W3C geniuses silently and suddenly
> "Leading the Web to its Full Potential...".

Huh?  RDDL was concocted last year around this time on _this_ mailing
list.  It's not a W3C activity, and never has been.  It's never been
submitted as a Note, even.

See http://www.rddl.org

RDF _is_ a W3C activity, but that's not RDDL.

> Too much politics around RDDL.

I've barely heard political discussion about RDDL for months, except for
a nice burst at XML 2001.  What politics are you talking about?

> 2. In my oppinion, current RDDL is a scientific
> stuff  that can not be used to solve a 'real problem'
> (see below)
>
> RDDL makes some step into 'right direction',
> but I don't get many of 'design ideas' behind
> current RDDL ( yet another declarative
> XML-ish 'language' )
>
> I guess very few developers have enough
> time for it.

Is this RDDL or RDF you're talking about?  I see RDDL as pretty ordinary
documentation with a few pointers to resources, not "scientific stuff".

> 4. A real problem is "what should I do when my
> software encounteres the 'unknown tag'". It can
> be solved on namespaces ( like RDDL does ).
> However, in my oppinion,  it is better to be
> solved with a  single and trivial attribute
> rddl-hook="URI" or something.

I don't think anyone would argue if you wanted to do rddl-hook in your
own code, but RDDL did emerge from the endless discussions of "what goes
at the end of a namespace URI" - and ended those discussions pretty
nicely.  (One bizarre outburst on www-talk@w3.org being the only
exception I've seen.)

> Just place some human-readable documentation
> at the end of namespace URL and that
> would work. ;-)

RDDL lets you do that.  Links to resources are totally optional.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!