   Re: [xml-dev] The task to be solved by RDDL. Re: [xml-dev] RDDL(was RE:

On Sat, 2002-01-19 at 18:01, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> i) How to provide metadata for a doctype which is built from multiple
> namespaces

This one I think requires work from the schema side, not the RDDL side.
You might check out RELAX Core (the original ISO TR) and RELAX
Namespace, which took an interesting approach to this issue.

> and
>
> ii.) How to provide metadata for namespace URIs that aren't HTTP URLs.

You might want to take a look at Dynamic Delegation Discovery System
(DDDS):
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-ddds-toc-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-ddds-05.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-dns-ddds-database-07.txt
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/urn-charter.html

There has been some discussion
(http://www.google.com/search?q=RDDL+DDDS&btnG=Google+Search ,
http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200101/threads.html#00722) about
how RDDL and DDDS could interact.

> That said, I think RDDL is a good start, NOT a solution for the entire set of
> problems involving discovery of metadata about XML documents but a worthwhile
> step in that direction.

Good to hear that it's a good start.  Since I rarely care about
"solutions for the entire set of problems" once we're past the
syntactical foundations of markup, that seems okay to me.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!