   Re: [xml-dev] Push and Pull?

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 11:29:51AM -0700, Sterin, Ilya wrote:
| >In SAX, the parser is has the
| >control loop and thus this makes SAX parsers easy to write.  In
| >DOM the control loop is owned by the library's user.
|
| That said, it again brings us down to that SAX parsers all (most)
| follow the push model, and DOM based follow the pull model.

DOM [1] uses a random-access,     pull-flow-control interface.
SAX [2] uses a sequential-access, push-flow-control interface.
XPP [3] uses a sequential-access, pull-flow-control interface.

| > I've only just begun playing with random access push
| > models... this is more or less events that can be replayed
|
| For the push model to be replayed, probably means that it
| will have to keep a parts in memory, or reparse all over again?

Yes.  To offer random access an interface will probably elect
to keep an in-memory representation.  Although a random access
interface could be done over a database (see Tamino), etc.

| This means that we are back to in memory parsers right, or is
| there some other concept behind it?

Right.  The examples above give you 3 permutations, one
could develop an interface which used random-access but
push-flow-control.  I started to put together an interface
for this about a year back... it had a way for events
to be "re-played".   I stopped after I didn't see an
obvious application of the technique.

;) Clark

[1] http://www.w3.org/DOM/
[2] http://www.saxproject.org/
[1] http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/soap/xpp/

--
Clark C. Evans                   Axista, Inc.
http://www.axista.com            800.926.5525