   Re: [xml-dev] Push and Pull?

SAXDOMIX [1] could be classified as semi-random-access,
push-flow-control-interface. It enables you to parse a document in the SAX
model, and switch when desired to the DOM model to build partial trees that
are pushed into a controller. It is semi-random access because you have full
random access on the partial trees, but sequential access between them.

dom4j also implements this idea, in a less generic way (but much more simple
and easy to use), and calls it 'tree pruning' [2].

This approach is quite interesting for XML document with a fixed-depth
repetitive structure, such as a list of elements with a complex structure.
It simplifies your code by making it possible to use tree accessors (imagine
how it would be great with dom4j XPath accessors !), instead of having to
deal with a stack and/or a state-machine, without forcing the whole document
to be loaded in memory.

Regards,
Nicolas

[1] http://www.devsphere.com/xml/saxdomix/
[2]
http://dom4j.org/faq.html#How%20does%20dom4j%20handle%20very%20large%20XML%2
0documents?

N.B. the anchor contains a '?', so the link is not valid in Outlook Express.
Sigh.