   RE: [xml-dev] Push and Pull?

Actually, you didn't.  I just started it again this morning, after some
writing and the need for terminology and definitions.

> These are my meanings:
>
> push- SAX: the parser pushes the data to the document handler; the
> handler
> decides what data it is interested in

That's exactly what I thought.

> pull- kXML: the parser says where it is, the DH tells the parser which
> way
> to go. In other words, the document handler has the parser
> pull only the
> data it's interested in; branches get skipped. The document does not
> have to
> be in-memory

I see where you are getting with this, but do you mean that only the
branches that are told to be relavant are kept in memory, or neither.
Because if nothing is cached, than this goes bac to the pull idea.

> batch (or ??)- DOM: A single method loads the document in-memory. The
> app
> then navigates at its leisure

Ok, but I would consider this pull as well.  Why do you not think that the
pull concept applies here.  Instead of telling the parser what to load as in
your pull explanation above, you are in a way telling it to load the whole
document and make all nodes relavant.  Then I think we are in the pull
concept area again?

> fully directed- (XQuery??)- the document handler builds instructions
> that
> the parser uses to navigate and return data from the document.

That's a new way to look at it for me.  Have to give it a thought.  I would
think XQuery would fit into the DOM/pull (batch) category, since it just
uses a different access syntax, but the document is accessed the same way.

> Sounds like we may need to standardize terms here...

That's what I am after.  I just want to make sure that the terms can be
refered to in some sort of a document, thread, online resource, etc...  Or I
can just read everything about push and pull at this time and disagree or
agree based on my view.  Standardizing the terms and the meanings, we'll
have something to refer to, even if someone's view (like mine:-) is
different.

Ilya