   Re: [xml-dev] Generality of HTTP

On Friday 25 January 2002 03:30 pm, Mark Baker wrote:
> > There isn't a whole there; just pieces to wire up
> > into various systems with varying degrees of
> > interoperation depending on the way these are
> > hooked together,
>
> And that's "just"?! 8-O

I think Len's point there is that the individual components are
largely irrelevant now. As is typical is software, you get to a point
where people don't care about what's under the covers, so long as it
still quacks like a duck.

> There was a Web before XML.  I'd say it's closer to #1.

I don't think it's any of them. If I were to say what the web was to
laymen, I'd say it was more of a community than an software
application. It's a set of screens that allow them to interact and get
stuff done. Most people I see using "the web" don't know or care what
HTML, HTTP, XML or any of this other stuff is.

> As Gavin said, the Web is an *application*.  Applications need
> application semantics, and HTTP provides them.

Despite what I said above, I think as the
designers/architects/propeller heads, we *do* (still) have to look at
the WWW as an application (which ight be why I'm more willing to tweak
bits of it or depart from existing methods than some). That
application spans an awful lot more than HTTP though...