   Re: [xml-dev] Generality of HTTP

Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> On Friday 25 January 2002 04:13 pm, Paul Prescod wrote:
> > People do not see the web architecture because we are like fish
> > trying to see the water. One of the TAG's jobs is to make the water
> > visible.
>
> Wow. I always thought you should try *not* to expose technology to
> people.... and instead do things in a way natural to them.

I mean people who should care about the architecture because they are
either helping to build it or building directly on it.

> > But even my mother knows that you cannot use the web
> > without using URIs.
>
> My wife doesn't... nor do my children... nor does my neighbour for
> that matter.
>
> For many people, it seems to have have just become part of the
> background... they use it, but seldom think about it.

In the same way that drivers don't think about their steering wheel. But
they understand that the steering wheel is a pretty fundamental part of
a modern car (auto show freak-cars notwithstanding). Contrary to your
previous email, it will not be possible to hide URIs from end-users in
the foreseeable future because people write them on business cards and
post-it-notes. Maybe in the year 2525 when we all write with digital
pens we can bar-code-encode them instead...but now I'm getting into the
flying car zone so I'd better stop...

 Paul Prescod