   Re: [xml-dev] Generality of HTTP

On Saturday 26 January 2002 05:03 pm, Paul Prescod wrote:
> > For many people, it seems to have have just become part of the
> > background... they use it, but seldom think about it.
>
> In the same way that drivers don't think about their steering wheel.
> But they understand that the steering wheel is a pretty fundamental
> part of a modern car (auto show freak-cars notwithstanding).

I don't think the analogy is accurate. For many people, the web is
invisible.... they're not even aware of it as a separate entity. That
might well be called the biggest victory of the WWW.

> Contrary to your previous email, it will not be possible to hide
> URIs from end-users in the foreseeable future because people write
> them on business cards and post-it-notes.

I think this is a passing fad. Already people say "www.foo.com" rather
than "http://www.foo.com";. I doubt people will notice if the http part
became entirely irrelevant... and then if "www.foo.com" got shortened
to "foo.com".... or "foo over on yahoo".

This kind of "people already do this" logic is really short-sighted
IMHO.

FWIW. Last time I heard the "people write them" logic used for URL's
was *for* modifying then to support I18N better.... and to remove the
protocol specifiers to make it "more natural".