   RE: [xml-dev] Auto-completion in editors (RE: [xml-dev] ANN: XML Origin,

> I'll point out that Komodo behaves as you wish. I know why
> others don't,
> however. Implementing it efficiently is not easy if you want
> it to work
> well with large documents. You either have to parse from the top or
> parse backwards from where you are, counting open and close tags,
> watching out for CDATA sections.

Surely an XML editor has to detect start tags and end tags as they are
typed, and if it detects start tags, it is trivially easy to maintain a
stack of open start tags? And the cost of doing so is unrelated to the size
of the document (only to the depth of nesting)?

Mike Kay