   Re: [xml-dev] There is a meaning, but it's not in the data alone

From: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>

> At 09:09 AM 30/01/02 +0000, Sean McGrath wrote:
> >And its positively *scary* the number of apps out there in the real world
> >that have wired the processing to the prefix - not the fully qualified
> >name.
>
> Ouch, really?!?  This calls for some serious jumping up and down
> and shrieking.  Name some names, Sean. -Tim

I cannot name the name because of potential commercial conflict,
and because they may have fixed it now for all I know,
but there was a well-known XML tool which hardwired every "schema"
element to be an XML Schema. This would not work with Schematron
schemas, which also use that word for the document element's name.

That is a case of not hardwiring the prefix, but hardwiring the local
part regardless of prefix, which is more innovative.

Cheers
Rick