   RE: [xml-dev] Co-operating with Architectural Forms

And an ASP page complete with multiple programming
languages and syntaxes is a thing of beauty?
<<

Wow Len, you nailed that strawman. Off to the compost pile with him. If I
were to respond in kind I would suggest that you can't tell the document
from DTD.

We gotta get past this "ugly" thing.  The authors
of these texts are here with us and can help sort
the English.  The editor of ISO 8879 is an approachable
guy.  We really can approach these tasks as a global
markup system task and keep all of the useful options
alive.  But if this starts out as a catfight over who
can write the simplest sentence, we are all losers.
<<

Uh, wrong. This is not in general government contracting. If the people who
have to implement specs can't understand them, the specs won't be
implemented. And having to get help from the specifiers here on xml-dev goes
against the whole idea of using an ISO spec in the first place: I and any
other geek in the world should be able to figure out how to meet a spec, and
whether an implementation meets that spec, without needing personal guidance
from the author or a separate (and specific) book from Oxford University
Press.

In my previous life as an electrical engineer I had occasion to read many
specs from  CCITT, EIA and the IEEE. (Admittedly none from ISO) Until the
8879 set of specs rises to the standard of comprehensibility set by these
organizations, rather than falling to the standard set by the USDOD
(actually below it -- you can parse a mil spec if you try hard enough. 8879
cannot be done without a gloss) those specs will, if not fail, at least be
severely handicapped in the marketplace of ideas.

Frank