   RE: [xml-dev] XML-based Wikis (was RE: [xml-dev] "Smart ASCII" -> XML fo

> From: Mike Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]
>
> 2/5/2002 7:02:23 AM, "Leigh Dodds" <ldodds@ingenta.com> wrote:
> >I wanted to be able to statically publish this information,
> >and work on it with XML tools (indexing, styling, etc). So I've
> >a project simmering on the back-burner at the moment to
> >take one of the open source wikis -- I'm using jspWiki at
> >present -- and rework it so that it stores content as XML, but
> >allows authoring using the standard Wiki syntax. That way
> >everybody wins.
>
> That sounds like a great idea.  I'd be interested in helping
> if that would be useful.
>
> Does anyone know of another open source Wiki that already has
> an XML back end?

I've written a wiki as JSP/Servlets. Originally the content was stored
in XML and transformed to either xHTML or WikiText using an XSLT
sheet/taglib; which worked nicely until it came to handling the wiki
whitespace/newline rules from the edit pages in XSLT; XSLT ws stumps me
... I winded up using JDK1.4 regexes instead (to see what they're like;
not bad) and leaving the content as wikitext (had to move on). But I'd
be interested in looking at the XML storage again (I might have a rough
dtd knocking about). Btw, if you've used a wiki where the users classify
things using CategoryCategory pages (like the c2 wiki), what would your
thoughts be on blowing out topic maps or RDF from the link structure?

Bill de hÓra