Re: [xml-dev] A heavier-weight proposal for character entity definition

On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 05:56, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> I posted this first in May of 2001.  I think it's worth looking at a
> somewhat more heavy-weight approach to defining character entities,
> since maintaining and distributing entity libraries is going to be an
> important part of the use of XML going forward if we get this right.
> So I'd like to at least look at what a real XML document type for
> character entity definition might look like.  Here's one attempt.
>
> <?xml version='1.0'?>
> <characters xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/05/Character";
>             xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";>
>  <xhtml:p>A sample of proposed character entity definition file format</xhtml:p>
>  <character name="copyright" code="169"/>
>  <character name="registered" code="174">
>   <xhtml:p>Individual characters can <xhtml:em>also</xhtml:em> have
>            documentation</xhtml:p>
>  </character>
>  <character name="eacute" code="xC9"/>
>  <character name="bullet" code="x2022"
>             source="http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf"/>
> </characters>

Now that I can see the instance, this doesn't look that different from
what Ents is using for configuration:
http://simonstl.com/projects/ents/HTMLrules.xml

The names are different, and I hadn't decided where to put source info -
a containing element is what I'm leaning toward - but we're not that far
apart.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!