   Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names was: Re: [xml-dev] "Abstract" URIs

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Agreed. The question is whether *you* can have a URI which, when someone
> does a GET on it, returns an HTML page. I don't see why not.

I have no problem with that.  My self URI doesn't do content
negotiation, so GET will return a topic map representation.

>>Again, fair enough.  But the use of "description" is an equivoque: the
>>HTML you can GET from http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/ is a representation
>>of a certain resource of type "hyperdocument".
>
> That is not true.

It may not be true of every such URI, but it is true of the
specific URI "http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/";.

> The thing you get back is an HTML rendition of the set of all documents
> with foo and bar in them indexed by Google. If Google supports conneg, I
> can ask for an XML rendition too. The "resource" is neither of type HTML
> nor hyperdocument nor XML. It isn't even IMPLEMENTED that way. It is
> implemented as a set of probably non-contiguous bits in a Big Honking
> Database.

It's not implemented as a static file, of course.  But it is still a
document (with dynamic content, to be sure) as opposed to a brick or a
person or Google Inc. or the words "foo bar".  We interact with it
by reading it (or having it read to us).

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com