   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Why REST was Re: [xml-dev] URIs are simply names

David Carlisle wrote:

> If I give you a (dtd) valid, schema valid, well formed, XML document
> that conforms to the namespace REC that uses a namespace name that
> identifies a resource that isn't a namespace then it is not enough for
> you to tell me it is abusive you have to say what rule has been broken.

Is that possible?

The URI identifies a resource, by virtue of being a URI.
The URI identifies a namespace, by virtue of being a namespace name.
You agreed earlier with Jonathan that:

> > What I said. The _namespace_ is the resource, the _namespace name_ is the
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > identifier of the resource.  Don't conflate the name with the thing.
> Yes exactly (we both agree on the premise but appear to disagree on the concl
> usion)

From this I can only conclude that the URI must identify
at least two *different* resources: one which is a namespace
and another one which -- as you have asserted -- is not.
Is that right?

(Of course I don't believe in "namespaces" any more than I
believe in "resources", so I don't particularly care how
many angels can dance on the head of this pin :-)

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com