   Re: namespaces and resources was :Re: [xml-dev] Re: Why REST

> I am not sure it has been tested -yet- in court, however I bet that if you
> start creating XML Namespaces beginning with the domains

You don't create namespaces, they all exist, and they are all the same.
Apart from the one property they have, which is a name.

But to avoid arguing with you over legalities, take

<x xmlns="data:.foo" />

I assume I'm allowed to use the data: scheme as much as anyone else.
The namespace in that example is data:,foo and the resource identified
by that string taken as a URI is the text "foo" which isn't a namespace.

> that they do not intend, much as you would consider it bad manners if I
> started portraying myself as "David Carlisle" to banks, or various
> government agencies etc.

May be bad manners but, depending on the country, it's legal as long as
not done with the intent to defraud. But more to the point bad manners
have nothing to do with it.

<x>XML is rubbish</x>

is not very polite about XML.

<x>XML is great</y>

is polite but not well formed.

The question is what is legal according to the specification.

> Yup, but if I don't sanction this, I can complain to various authorities
> that you are misrepresenting me. People take this seriously.

You can only complain to authorities if some law has been broken.
If that was a typo meant to refer to your namesake at
jborden@attbi.co.uk (who we'll pretend exists)
then it is unlikely that any civil law has been broken.
the question though has any XML specification been broken.
I say no and the document I quoted last time is conforming and its
namespace name is your mailto URI. But if you don't like that
use the data: example above. Or if you don't like that use
my mailto: URI I assert that Ihave the right to use that, and I assert
that the resource identified by the URI is something to do with my
mailbox and not a namespace.

Issues of civil law only come up with flippant examples such as me
provocatively using a namespace name based on your name, but  it is
trivial to come up with examples that avoid that. Just use _any_ URI
that you are allowed to use as a URI, and use it as a namespace name.

David