   Re: [xml-dev] DOM L3 and Type info

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Rafter wrote:
> I had a quick question about DOM L3-- I was trying to quickly understand the
> new Load and Save part of DOM L3 and I was wondering how type info is
> handled. Specifically I am looking to find out if there is a way to specify
> an element's or attribute's type as the document is being created. I found a
> couple references that mentioned [attribute type] but could find the
> implementation.

I don't think you will find what you are looking for in DOM L3 AS, and
the reason for this is probably in that AS (Abstract Schemas) are
defined as a "lowest common denominator" between WXS (W3C XML Schema)
and DTDs:

"It is anticipated that lowest common denominator general APIs generated
in this chapter can support both DTDs and XML Schemas, and other XML
abstract schemas down the road."
(http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-ASLS/abstract-schemas.html#AS-General)

Since what WXS calls element type has no meaning for DTDs, it doesn't
find its place in the "lowest common denominator".

What you will find, OTH, is an API with interfaces that allow to edit a
document described using any schema language if the schema processor
implements AS, but this is quite different than what you're looking for.

Note also that DOM L3 has kept the orginal meaning of "element type"
defined in XML 1.0 which is what WXS calls "element name" is is
different from WXS "element type".

> It would be interesting if, for example, you could create a DOM and specify
> certain attributes as type "ID"-- without needing a schema or DTD
> specifically. Dave Brownell has a DOMConsumer in the GNU JAXP project that
> generates a DOM from SAX2. It would be exciting if someone could write a SAX
> filter to insert type information (security concerns aside). This would
> remove the need for an internal subset to create IDs. This type of thing
> would also open the door to [Your favorite schema language] a little wider.

I think that this would be very useful but not sufficient and that this
should also be expressed as a XML serialization (eventually using PIs)
more fited for permanent storage and pipe frameworks.

Eric

--
See you in Seattle.
                                        http://knowledgetechnologies.net/