   RE: [xml-dev] XML should NOT be a new programming language

You're right that [2]-[4] are more tightly coupled (Using Larry
Constantine's definition of coupling).  That would lead to the conclusion
that [1] would lead to a better design.  However it's worth observing that
any of [2] and [4] can easily be wrapped to appear as [1].

I've been working with Sean McGrath on the XPipe system.  My hope is that
one outcome of the system will be that if one uses the framework to wrap
serialization/deserialization for DOM or SAX processing, then the framework
can locally optimize the linkage of adjacent pipeline components without
losing the general ability to pass documents.

David