   Re: [xml-dev] XML should NOT be a new programming language

At 10:52 AM 04/03/02 +0000, Francis Norton wrote:
>Yes - you can implement XML interfaces between components in at least four ways:
>
>[1] pass an XML document
>[2] pass an XML DOM
>[3] pass a schema-equivalent programming language object (using tools for automatic schema <-> class conversion)
>[4] pass an event stream
>
>Our experiences suggest that [3] and [4] are best for high-volume performance-critical server-side finance applications.

You're buying some performance.  You're giving up a lot of the
things that make XML worthwhile, in particular no binary
dependencies on any particular hardware, OS, or whatever.
Your call.  But it feels like a lousy bargain, architecturally,
compared to [1].  -Tim