   Re: [xml-dev] XML should NOT be a new programming language

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> I've been discussing XML syntax as a canonical form of markup, one of
> many lexical conventions for describing information - and the one with
> the most tools available for processing.  I'd love to see more parsers
> for non-XML formats that can interoperate (via SAX, DOM, Infoset,
> whatever) with XML, and I think they're coming.

Yes - you can implement XML interfaces between components in at least four ways:

[1]
pass an XML document
[2]
pass an XML DOM
[3]
pass a schema-equivalent programming language object (using tools for
automatic schema <-> class conversion)
[4]
pass an event stream

Our experiences suggest that [3] and [4] are best for high-volume
performance-critical server-side finance applications.

Forgive the plug, but it may be interesting that in chapter 9 of
"Professional XML for .NET developers" [1] I've got (downloadable) code
to demonstrate using XmlWriter and XmlReader (the .NET XML Event stream
classes) to convert simple flow diagrams between any pair of Visio (as
diagrams), Word 2000 (as tables) and XML (as documents).

What gave me particular satisafaction was that conversion between the
first two doesn't involve any XML markup at any point, just
schema-compliant event streams.

Francis.

[1]
http://www.wrox.co.uk/ACON11.asp?ISBN=1861005318